Has a recent car accident left you with painful, lingering personal injury to your neck, back, or joints? The team at Kalani Total Health Center in Oxnard, California, are experienced at treating some of the most common injuries caused by automobile accidents or otherwise. One of the most common types of personal injury is a back or neck injury. These injuries can be caused by car accidents, falls, or sports-related injuries. In many cases, these injuries can be severely debilitating, making it difficult for the victim to return to their normal activities. Chiropractic care is a popular treatment option for back and neck injuries and it is very effective. We often use manual manipulation to realign the spine and relieve pain, but we offer many different services. In addition, chiropractic care is often used to treat other conditions such as headaches, TMJ disorders, and carpal tunnel syndrome. Consider contacting us if you have any lingering pains from a fall or accident. Read on to learn more about personal injury treatment here in Oxnard, CA.
Quick Facts About Car Accidents
- There are over 40,000 fatal car accidents per year in the U.S.
- Each day, more than 90 Americans die in car accidents.
- On average, 2 million drivers experience a permanent personal injury every year.
- Almost 8,000 people die in traffic accidents involving drivers aged 16-20.
- The most common causes of death on the road are drunk driving (40%), speeding (30%), and irresponsible driving (33%).
- 58% of fatal car accidents involve only one vehicle, and 38% are caused by a traffic collision.
- When it comes to fatal car accidents by state, in 2018 the most accidents occurred in Texas and California.
- According to the statistics, most fatal injuries happen during weekends.
- More than 1,600 children younger than 15 die in traffic accidents each year.
How We Treat Auto Injuries in Oxnard, CA
Comprehensive Consultation and Exam
During your exam, your chiropractor will check the alignment of your spine. They will also assess the tension in the muscles that run the length of your spine, and x-rays will be taken as needed. Your chiropractor will design a specific treatment plan based on your consultation, exam, and overall health goals to help you return to optimal health and function.
Specific Chiropractic Care
If you’ve recently experienced a car accident, it’s a good idea to see a chiropractor, especially if you are experiencing symptoms. Even if you feel fine after the accident, you could still have some invisible injuries that might show days or weeks later. Chiropractic treatment can treat the underlying cause of backaches, neck pain, shoulder pain, stiffness, soreness, and restricted range of motion after a car accident.
Massage Therapy and Soft Tissue Work
If you’ve been in a car accident, getting a massage is one of the best things you can do to begin the healing process. Massage therapy can help reduce pain, recovery time, and swelling and increase your range of motion.
Therapeutic exercise after a car accident can help reduce pain and help you recover from your injuries much quicker than bed rest. Movement oxygenates blood and other nutrients to the injury site helping the body heal itself.
Deep Tissue Laser
Laser therapy is a painless treatment option if you are recovering from a car accident or other trauma. Laser energy increases circulation and draws water, oxygen, and nutrients to the injured area, reducing spasms, swelling, and stiffness.
This natural technique works to speed up recovery after a car accident. Acupuncture reduces inflammation, increases blood flow to the affected area, inhibits our body’s pain signals (reducing the perception of pain), minimizes drug side-effects, reduces internal and external scarring, helps your body create new tissue, and improves organ function.
Nutritional supplements can play a powerful role in helping the body recover after an injury. They play a crucial role in controlling inflammation, providing key nutrients for rebuilding injured tissue, minimizing muscle atrophy, and supporting strength preservation and gain.
Common Injuries From a Car Accident
Whiplash is a neck injury when there is a forceful, rapid back and forth movement of the neck, like the cracking of a whip. It is most commonly caused by rear-end car accidents.
Car accident victims are prone to knee injuries because of the knees’ position in the vehicle. A victim’s knees can easily shift forward and slam against the steering wheel or dashboard. This vulnerable position means knee ligament injuries can be caused by the knee being struck, twisted, or extended beyond normal reach during an automobile accident. A tear can cause immediate pain, a popping sound, the inability to bend down on the knee, and a feeling that the knee might give out.
Low Back Pain From a Car Accident
Low back injuries often happen due to low impact, rear-end, and rollover car accidents. Car accidents, especially when the torso is strained or twisted, can jolt the back’s muscles, nerves, and ligaments and lead to weakness and severe ongoing pain.
Shoulder Pain From a Car Accident
Car accidents place a significant amount of stress on the body. The impact can fracture or disconnect the shoulder bones, damage the shoulder joint, or even tear sensitive structures within the shoulder. Do not hesitate to seek medical attention if you are experiencing shoulder pain after a car accident.
What You Need to Know if You’ve Been in a Car Accident in Oxnard, CA
Does car insurance pay for a chiropractor after a car accident?
In most cases, auto insurance covers most recommended or “reasonably necessary” treatments for a personal injury resulting from a covered vehicle accident. This can often include treatment performed by a chiropractor. For serious injuries, this may require multiple visits per week, for months or even years after the accident. Depending on the auto insurance policy, chiropractor visit costs may be billed directly to the insurance company.
How can chiropractic care help after a car accident?
- Reduce Inflammation – chiropractic manipulation causes your body to cut back on its inflammatory cytokine production, which can lower the inflammatory response in your body and reduce pain.
- Minimize Pain – during chiropractic manipulation, your body naturally releases pain-relieving hormones, which can help minimize pain.
- Restore Range of Motion – when injured in a car accident, your neck and back can lose flexibility. A chiropractic adjustment can restore range of motion by mobilizing your spine and returning the joints to proper alignment.
- Experience Non-Invasive Treatment – chiropractic treatments are non-invasive and align the spine without surgical intervention.
Do chiropractic appointments help my personal injury case?
It is best to get treated as soon as possible after a car accident. Seeing a chiropractor for your injuries will help your case. You will have the backing of a licensed professional and the proper documentation outlining the true extent of your personal injury and treatment for the court.